Collision without response... Is this possible?

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:06 PM
Good afternoon!

I must say that I am thoroughly excited about the forthcoming release and can not wait to use the new engine in my game! I do have a quick question regarding collision...

I have a flame thrower weapon that I want to collide with enemies, but not to be affected by them. That is to say, that when the flame collides with an enemy, I don't want it to move as a result of the collision, or cause the enemy to move for that matter.

Using the current version of the engine I have set a few of the friction coefficients and the MomentOfInertia values fairly high with hopes of avoiding this, but it still seems to happen from time to time. Will it be possible in this version to have an object collide with another object without forces be applied as a result? I know this is a fairly unique scenario and may not make much sense for the overall scope of the engine, but I figured it was worth asking anyway. Thanks again for all that you've put into this; it's going to be a huge benefit to the community!!
Sep 18, 2007 at 10:38 PM
Yes, that will be possible. You will have the ability, in a collision callback method, to cancel any collision. So in the callback you could check if the two bodies are a flame and an enemy if so cancel the collision.