Couple of Questions

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:31 PM
Hey, I'm kinda new around here (this being my first post).
Anyhow, I've just seen this project, and I've got to say I'm super-psyched about it (oddly enough, I just finished coding a collision detection app a few days ago);
Now, I'm just tinkering around to get a feel for the engine, but I ran across one annoyance - in the level I coded and added to the demos, there's an annoying gap between objects that the engine recognizes as colliding with eachother like this:
http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gapft2.png

Any chance there's a solution for this?
to me it looks as though the bodies are floating around on the geometry's vertices (the ball actually "jumps" every time a geometry vertex hits the floor when it rolls)

the second question I want to ask is whether there's a way for the engine check if two specific bodies collide? I guess there is and I've yet to find one;

Thanks in advance,
Benjinator
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2007 at 4:06 PM
I you are using my drawing code from my samples framework, then I think the issue is with the textures rather than the geometry. Can you display things with the debug viewer and see if where the verts are?

As far at the ball jumping, I'm not sure. I'd have to see it to get a better idea.

To check for two specific bodies, you probably will want to set each bodies .Tag property to some string representing the "Name". Then hook up a call back method on the two geometries. The callback method will fire when either geometry hits another. In the call back you can check the Tags to see if the two bodies are the ones you are looking for.
Oct 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2007 at 4:34 PM
The verts ARE the problem, IMO. the debugging view shows up that the verts are actually offset relatively to the body - that is, for example, the verts are more like "touching" the border of it rather than being on the border - the offset seems equal to the default vert readius;

About the ball - I think it's a different problem - I think it just might be caused by a low number of verts on the geometry in relevance to the circumference of the ball - i.e. I should use more verts. I'll try it in a minute;

I'm not sure I got all the details on the body checking solution (I got the idea, I think);
I'll try to implement it;
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM
can you show a screenshot of the debug view?
Oct 7, 2007 at 11:00 PM
Sure thing;
http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gapdebugho4.png
The problem is clearly seen on the cube and floor, and a bit less in the ball;
Though, coming to think about it, the problem might be with the texture, because I set up the floor to the width of the screen, but when I run it, the floor is a few pixels short on either side, but the geometry is the right size.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2007 at 11:45 PM
I really think this is just a texture issue.