RigidBody limits?

Topics: User Forum
Oct 2, 2006 at 3:54 PM
I was just wondering if there are point limits for rigid bodies. For example, what if I wrote code to detect borders for sprites? Something like what's described here: http://www.ziggyware.com/readarticle.php?article_id=52

What if I added, say, over 200 points to the list of boundary points for any given rigid body? Would the performance decrease drastically?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2006 at 4:55 PM
200 points is quite a lot. Not sure what the performace would be without testing it.

When 2 "Geometries" collide, the vertices of each is tested against the other. During a vetice test, firt the point is checked against the other geometries bounding box. If the vertice point is within the bounding box, then the point is checked against a pre-computed distance grid for the geometry. It is basically a quick look up in a list of distance grid cells.

If you didn't have a lot of these objects colliding at one time, it probably would be fine. If you have alot colliding all at once you might see some slow down.

Performance is on my list of things to tune!
Oct 2, 2006 at 7:16 PM
Okay, now I see what's going on.
I'll work on detecting sprite hulls automatically a little bit, and maybe finding ways to simplify unnecessary vertices that may be added to the geometry list. That way I won’t have to put work into manually defining geometry for each sprite I may want to use.
Keep up the good work, crashlander! I’m finding this to be very easy to use so far.
-JLarkin