InteractiveAngleJoint, SliderJoint and AngleSpring

Nov 14, 2007 at 2:31 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2007 at 2:36 PM
I'm in the progress of building a help file for my application where I need to explain all the joint and springs in Farseer.
I only need 2 joints: InteractiveAngleJoint and SliderJoint.
and one spring: AngleSpring

I've never used those before, so I don't know what they are supposed to do.

It would be nice if one of you guys would explain them to me. maybe with an illustration.
Nov 14, 2007 at 4:45 PM
Don't worry about InteractiveAngleJoint. I'm taking it out of the enigne. It's left over from something I was working on. It belongs more in the layer above the physics engine.

Slider joint is just like the pin joint except the distance between the bodies is not fixed. They can move toward and away from eachother within limits.

The angle spring is just a rotational spring. Demo six(i think) the one with all the things that look like diving boards uses angular springs.

I'm going to try to do some code commenting next week. Sorry about the lack of docs.
Nov 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM
Ever since I first tried Farseer, i've been missing some XML comments in the code. But in your latest version, the demos helped out a lot when it comes to understanding how the engine works.

Commenting a project is always the boring part of the development. You took the fun way by creating some demos instead :)
I hope in the future you will have the time to comment the code. There is no need to comment everything, just the major parts and commonly used functionalities. A 300 lines comment about the broad phase is not relevant for the average Joe.

back to topic:

What does InteractiveAngleJoint do? I was just wondering if it was of any use to me in my new project.
And thanks for the explanation on slider joint and angle spring, I will look into the demos for better understanding of the angle spring.
Nov 14, 2007 at 8:42 PM
The interactive angle joint was used to control the angle between two joints. It really just adjusted the "TargetAngle" of an angle joint based on mouse position.