CodeAnalyze for Farseer Physics Engine library

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 22, 2007 at 7:54 AM
Hi there.
With recent release of XNA 2.0 Beta it became possible to natively run XNA projects on full-feature studios (i.e. no "express"). So now we can run Code Analyze for projects. I want to ask author of this awesome library to run Code Analyze for his project to became even more awesome and professional. Of course, if that is possible (you have time and non "express" version on visual studio 2005). Cause now library have more than 200 Code Analyze rules violation (of course, many of those rules can (and sometimes must) be skipped due to different nature of XNA projects from other apps - but still there are many improvements that can be done to the engine). Anyway - keep a good work!
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2007 at 9:45 AM
Edited Nov 22, 2007 at 9:53 AM
I'll see about running it.

I'll fix any glaring code snafus but I'll probably not bother with minor stuff.

I'll be porting the engine to XNA Beta 2.0 soon so I'll try to do this then.
Nov 22, 2007 at 9:47 PM
Another Code Analyze is FXCop. This is actually very useful. Allot of what it complains about are naming conventions but a few of them are about unused parameters and local variables. It’s very good for cleaning up code. And actually has pointed out quite a few bugs over the years.
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2007 at 2:26 PM

BioSlayer wrote:
Another Code Analyze is FXCop. This is actually very useful. Allot of what it complains about are naming conventions but a few of them are about unused parameters and local variables. It’s very good for cleaning up code. And actually has pointed out quite a few bugs over the years.

The code analyzer that comes with VS2005/VS2008 is build upon FXCops. Microsoft just improved some rules and added some new. There is always the opportunity to download VS2008 Team System from Microsoft homepage. It's a 90 days trial, should be more than enough to check the code for common mistakes/error :)