Ground with slopes and fast moving objects

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM
Edited Mar 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM

So, I hope someone else has encountered this problem and has an easy fix of it.

We've got an object moving on ground. When the object is moving slowly, the object is moving along the predicted path (on the ground, always).

But! There's a problem when the object is moving faster. When the object has a much more increased speed, he lifts from the ground before he lands again. Now, I don't want that! I've tried pushing with an impulse towards the normal of the ground, but that didn't seem to work. There's also this problem with the object not standing still when standing on a slope, instead it is pushed slowly to the end of the slope. I set the object to ignore gravity when the object is on ground.

Does anyone have a solution for these problems, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's a picture to get a reference from so you understand what I mean.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/62/groundpaths.jpg

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I can't necessarily provide with you a solid answer but this doesn't sound like a problem per say, but more like you need to modify and play with your mass/gravity etc. values.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

As nullsoldier said I also think that the engine works as expected. Kind of like a jump actually ;)

If you increase the gravity and also decrease the bounciness (don't remeber exactly what its called in Farseer) you might get a better result.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Oh, I feel so stupid now, of course that would work. Seems like i have to increase the mass then, because if i increase the gravity too much it starts to bounce on ground. That's probably because they don't want to be inside of eachother. If I use increase mass, I don't seem to get that problem.

Thanks to both of you.