Vote for Windows Phone 7 release!

Topics: User Forum
Developer
Mar 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Cast your vote here!

If I get enough votes I will port the XNA version of Farseer 2.1.3 to Windows Phone 7 and XNA 4.0.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM

ME VOTE!!!!

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I'll vote for that.

I have it running on Windows Phone in XNA 4.0 but I had to comment out the RemoveAll commands in the two classes that use those commands.

Allan

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:06 AM

You have my vote.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Dude, it's like just a few lines of code.

Porting your existing game to the new XNA is the bigger hurtle to cross.

It took me about five hours to get the game up and running on the new

development tools, about fifteen minutes of which was getting the Farseer

Project working.

Two steps: add XNA assembly application symbol to your project, or add

|| WINDOWS_PHONE to each if assembly directive marking XNA, and to

write your own removeAll static function somewhere and reference it in

Farseer where the removeall functions occur.

I even copied and pasted my removeall function in a post chayena made.

Don't wait for Matt guys! You can do it yourselves!

Developer
Mar 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM

@oranjoose: I understand how easy it may be. But some people aren't familiar with what needs to be done to get Farseer working on the phone / XNA 4.0. Also I was planning on porting the at least all the Simple Samples as well. As for waiting I will have it done Monday night.

Also for all the dare devils out there Farseer 3.0 (what you get when you download the stuff under the source tab) is pretty much fully operational. It only takes like 5 min to get it running on the phone / XNA 4.0.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Matt,

That's great news because I ran into all kinds of errors on DemoShareXNA in XNA 4.0.

It would be really nice to have that along with Farseer since DemoShare is very important for debugging stuff.

And of course you are right.  I spent 3 days working on various problems with Farseer XNA in XNA 4.0.  I never did get the RemoveAll thing figured out.  I just commented out the #if (!SilverLight) compiler directives in SweepAndPrune and SelectiveSweep thus exposing the #else code and it seems to run fine.

It's always much nicer to have an out of the box solution when you are dealing with things like a physics engine.  Most people are not going to want to mess with the Farseer code unless they absolutely have to.  You just don't know how your little tweaks may impact things overall. (ie. the RemoveAll extension Method)

But Demoshare has a number of things unsupported in XNA 4.0.

Allan

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM

You have my vote Matt!

Developer
Mar 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Ok guys, thanks for voting. I have to work tomorrow, but I will start porting Monday and hopefully finish Monday night. I've been using XNA 4.0 since around 3 hrs after they posted the download ;) so I've already figured out most of the new quirks/improvements. I will keep you guys posted on my progress in another post.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Yes please ;)

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Vote++

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Vote!

I also got it working on Windows Phone 7 on my end. Woo~