Platformer "Feeling," Extent of Gravity, and Unpredictable Collisions

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I'm working on a platformer and have been running into some stability problems.  90% of the time things function properly, but occasionally collisions get wacky: a disproportionately large amount of force coming off a collision that usually leads to something getting stuck in a wall.  I'm suspicious that this may have something to do with using a high gravity (around 800) and the resulting large forces necessary to move things around.  Generally speaking, my objects are being manipulated by applying impulse.

I haven't been able to find a thread that discusses general approaches to resolving this kind of issue.  To the extent it may relate to the problem, my mobs are using the wheel-chair method to get around (described here, and here). 

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM

maybe a video would help, but getting stuck in an object usually happens if you use a lot of force(Although a 800 gravity is not that much, I think I use 1000) or if your geometries dont have a lot of points, you can specify the amounts of points with the Factories methods, or using the subdivide function(which I dont remember the sintax for it, but its in the faq), I hope that help you.