Time Manipulation

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi, i am sorry if this question has been answered before but i was unable to find a solution.

My question is, is it possible to slow down time within a game using farseer. I thought that if you could slow down the simulators update speed and then individual updated the speed of the things that should not be affected by the difference it might work but I don't know if this is possible. I would be greatly appreciated if anyone has either done this or knows another method that can be used.

Thank you for your time, 

Dan.

Developer
Apr 24, 2010 at 7:11 PM

It is possible. You need to shorten the time step while keeping the frame rate the same.  Using this method can create some problems though.

• If your using joints they will get stiffer.
  • You can't use this to speed up time.
Apr 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I did understand how to do this as all it does is change how much time has passed in the simulator each update if I am correct. My question was though can you make some items not affected by say individual updating them countering the effects of them slowing down. 

Developer
Apr 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Awwww, I misunderstood. My theory on that would be to add a float to each body/joint and scale the time step by that float when processing that body/joint. But that is just my theory, I haven't tested that idea.