Farseer 3.0 questions, beginner first time

Topics: Developer Forum
May 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Edited May 9, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Hi, I downloaded the source code, but there are a lot of projects that have almost identical names. What is the best entry point for making my own game? I can extract some information from the testbed, but how do I know which project uses which other project dll? One has "XNA" in its name, but the one without XNA in its name still has XNA using statements in their source files. Doesn't make sense to me. Some files are different, the Pathfactory source file is only present in one of the projects. http://yfrog.com/61captureghp Can I still read the 2.1 manual to understand Farseer 3.0? Are there going to be breaking changes? It would be a major headache if I read a documentation that is out of date or in places even inaccurate. Are there going to be any problems if I want to try it out on the win7 phone emulator? I know all about the hardware and software requirements of Win7Phones but not about Farseer obviously. Does it use the full .net framework instead of the .net compact framework? It must use the cf as I understand it. I tried to remove the system references and see what happens, but I get strange errors like this: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /nostdlib+ /platform:x86 /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE;WINDOWS /reference:"B:\Current Projects\Additional\Code\Farseer\Branches\FP3.0\XNA\bin\x86\Debug\Farseer Physics 3.0 XNA.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.1\References\Windows\x86\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Core.dll" /reference:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /reference:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /out:obj\x86\Debug\AdvancedSamplesXNA.exe /resource:obj\x86\Debug\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt,Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile /target:winexe /win32icon:Game.ico Demo1\Demo1Screen.cs Demo2\Demo2Screen.cs Demo3\Demo3Screen.cs Demo4\Demo4Screen.cs Demo5\Demo5Screen.cs Demo6\Demo6Screen.cs Demo7\Demo7Screen.cs Demo8\Demo8Screen.cs Demo9\Demo9Screen.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Program.cs FarseerPhysicsGame.cs Why? This is a build error, not a compile error. Thanks for your experience on this!
May 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM

The project without XNA declares it's own Vector2, Vector3, MathHelper and Matrix files, and pretends they're from the XNA framework. This makes it much easier to maintain the 2 projects, as you don't have to have 2 copies of any of the files. If you go to the "Common" folder and open one of those files, you'll see "namespace Microsoft.Xna.Framework" at the top of the file. There is no reference to the XNA framework itself in that project.

If you want to replace those with another framework it isn't too difficult. I did it for myself using SlimDX, and all it took was a bit of copy-paste and changing a few names where the functions were different.

The AdvancedSamples project isn't finished yet, and is just in the svn so we can start working on it soon, so if you want you can delete it and you won't get any of those errors.

To understand Farseer 3 you should read the Box2D manual as well as the Farseer 2 manual. It is a sort of cross between the 2, but between those 2 manuals, the testbed examples and the source code it shouldn't be too difficult to figure everything out.