Trouble with many small Geom's at once

Topics: User Forum
Jun 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I'm using the release version of FarSeer (2.1.3) with XNA.

I'm building off of the platformer base with some fairly major (already) modifications to how some things are done.

I built a small particle system that I wanted to use for smoke etc. but also adapted it to be used for bullets (once extended), but right now I'm using it for spent bullet casings.

The problem I have is after about 200-300 bullet casing have been made and been added to the level (they are made on the fly off of a base body/geom) that all the physics for the player and for the shell casings go haywire. They start bouncing all over the place, and eventually just start falling through everything.

I did notice that the core that the game is on is being used 100%, and don't think it should be, but I've used up to 10k particles with my own "non-collision" physics applied (not using farseer).

I also use the Visual Demo to show the physics boxes and how long its taking to draw everything, and its only going up to 3-4 MS for all the physics and I'm still sitting at the 62.5 FPS I get by default.

The tiles are all joined into one Geom if they are directly connecting and are set to static and everything, and they have a gridsize of 1 because I'm using concave geometry and splitting it up caused weird issues (Haven't tried the Axis-Seperating setting yet, but besides this the default setting has been working).

I do know if I load up a new level the physics go back to being normal, but this disposes and recreates the physics world.

I am adding the Particles' Body and Geom on creation, and the current ones get removed from the world after 5 Seconds. I have verified they are being removed by watching the counter in the visualization tool that comes with the demo. I wouldn't mind trying to move to 3.0 if everyone thinks its ready, but last time I tried it wasn't even compiling for me.

I can potentially supply a packed game if you need to see what its like.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Still having trouble with this. I've definitely narrowed it down to farseer because if i either dont ever add the particles to the physics system, or i just leave them in and don't draw them, everything works as well as expected.