This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Upgrade Dilemma

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Hey there. I am having a dilemma deciding to upgrade to FP3.0.


I started working on a game about 3 months ago and picked up FP2.1.3 without really paying much attention to the differences between 2 and 3. I basically assumed that since 3 was described as pre-alpha, the latest stable branch would be more appropriate. Fast forward 3 months and the game engine is basically done, and now I'm at the point where I'm just making maps for the game and getting ready to release it. But now that I'm in a phase where I'm playing the game for long periods of time, I find that I'm running into a lot of strange physics issues that many other people have run into as well (like random geoms falling through others, random bouncing, etc). The consensus of these issues seems to be "use 3.0, unless you already have a lot invested in 2.1". Well, I have a lot invested in 2.1. But at the same time I have come to the conclusion that I simply cannot release this game in its current form with these issues.


So is 3.0 "done enough" to use in a production-quality game?



Furthermore, I played around with the latest branch last night a little, and I noticed that it doesn't compile in silverlight. If I go forward with the upgrade, I intend to change the code so it compiles in SL, so I was wondering what kind of process there is to let people check in stuff like that; I figure that if I make these changes, it's going to be annoying if I have to make them every time I get a new version of the branch; better to give back to the community anyway.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:25 PM

My opinion is that it is done enough.  There isn't a whole lot missing from it, as it is a port from box2dxna, which was a recent port from box2d's latest.  Keep playing with it to make a good decision.  I don't use silverlight, so I can't help with that part.