Upgrading to 3.0

Topics: User Forum
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hi guys

I've been using 2.1.3 for a while, but I've been having issues with player movement which I think is related to the circles not actually being circles. Jumping is irratic, and I've had issues with motors too, where it seems to go at half-speed when moving in the opposite direction. It might just be my code, but I'm looking at upgrading to 3.0 anyway.

I can't seem to find anywhere to get hold of it though?

Do I need to download the latest project version under Source Code? Because I did that, but I couldn't find a .csproj file to import into existing VSprojects

Sorry for the newbie question, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM
When I upgraded to 3.0 I just got latest, and created a new project of my own. I then copied the directory tree of the engine over (SourceFiles/FP3.0/*) into the directory of the project, clicked the "Show All Files" button in the project explorer, and right clicked on all the FP3.0 files and selected "include in project".
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Excellent, thankyou! I'll give it a try

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Still one problem.. I've done as you said and that's fine.. but the only problem I have now is I'm getting the following error message..
"Error    41    The type or namespace name 'Interfaces' does not exist in the namespace 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

This is the highlighted line: using FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Interfaces;

Now, I can't find any Interfaces namespace in the project. Removing this line causes further issues. But it is all focused around the Buoyancy classes.. no other classes reference FarseerPhysics.Interfaces namespace..

Is this just an issue with the latest source code 73518? I can do without buoyancy so I presume I'd be safe removing these for now.. right? (edit- this just caused further inssues.. and it is also in other source code versions too..)

Sorry, I can't figure this out.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Okay, 2.1.3 has Interfaces namespace.. do i need to copy the FP3.0 sourcefiles into an existing 2.1.3 project/folder? Because that causes a lot of namespace errors etc..

Developer
Jul 27, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Hi,

you just need to add a reference to "Branches\FP3.0\XNA\Farseer Physics 3.0 XNA.csproj" to your project. If you want to copy Farseer 3.0 alongside your project just copy "SourceFiles\FP3.0" and add "Branches\FP3.0\XNA\Farseer Physics 3.0 XNA.csproj". Afterwards you need to add the source files to the Farseer 3.0 project as stated above. Works fine for me with the latest checkout. You probably also want to copy "DebugViews\DebugViewXNA" and add a reference to your project in order to get the debugView up an running.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I must be missing something really obvious here.. or I'm not understanding this fully.

For FP2.1, I simply "add an existing project" and add "Farseer Physics 2.1 XNA.csproj" to the solution, then add references to FP2.1 from my main project and it works, I have all the classes, interfaces etc to work.

But for FP3.0, I just don't understand what's going on.

I copy the contents of the latest FP3.0 zip file onto my harddrive. I then add "Branches\FP3.0\XNA\Farseer Physics 3.0 XNA.csproj" to my project. I then get a warning about the files being under source control, so I click no (to not permanently remove the bindings, otherwise VS2008 looks for the class files in the wrong location) and it loads the project into the solution. I then add a reference from "Branches\FP3.0\XNA\Farseer Physics 3.0 XNA.csproj" to my main project.

Okay, after a bit more research, it looks like there is no PhysicsSimulator that I was looking for.. or the other loads of classes that were with 2.1. I'll check the samples and see if I can figure it out.
Jul 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Yeah, they renamed the simulator to "World", and Update is now "Step". Geom turned into "Fixture". Those are the big ones as far as I remember off the top of my head.