Problem with Friction Coefficient

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Hey guys, I would like to ask, why the I've set the friction coefficient but it doesn't seems like working?

I have a circle moving on a static rectangle object, I have set both object friction coefficient to 1.0f but when I stop moving circle, the circle will still have some forces rolling.

Is there anywhere I can fix it? What I want is when I stop moving the circle, the circle should stop almost immediately.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM
What version of Farseer Physics Engine are you using?
Aug 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I'm using Farseer 2.1

BTW, I'm facing another problem, which is now I have an object rolling on the floor but I found out that it will shaking while rolling?

Shaking means it won't move smoothly on the ground, sometimes it will move then jump abit then continue moving...cannot move nicely..

How can I overcome this problem @@?

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM

In FPE 2.x, the circles are not real. They are simply approximations of circles and thus, you will get uneven collisions. FPE 3.0 does have real circles and don't have the uneven collision problem.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM

OMG, then is that means I need to change to 3.0 @@?

How many things I need to change from 2.1 to 3.0 ?

I couldn't found any documentation on 3.0 yet :(

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM
You need to change quite a but because there is no such thing has geometries anymore. There are Bodies, Shapes and Fixtures. If you use the FixtureFactory, you should be up and running with 3.0 in no time.
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Another is PhysicsSimulator. I've found out that there is no more PhysicsSimulator in 3.0. Is it become World?

So how should I declare it? 

In 2.1, I declare the PhysicsSimulator like this:

PhysicsSimulator physicsSimulator = new PhysicsSimulator(gravity);

how about in 3.0?

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Yes, World is what used to be called PhysicsSimulator. You can take a look at the TestBed samples to see how you use the engine. There will be some simpler samples soon.
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Alright, thanks 

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Sorry, I have one more question, what does EDGE do in Farseer 3.0?

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM
Edge is a 2 vertice polygon - a simple line.