Farseer Physics Engine 3.1 TODO list

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM

To keep Farseer Physics Engine one of the best physics engines out there, we need to keep the engine up to date with the newest technology and tools. I already have a TODO list in place, but I would like to know what the community would like to have included.

Here is the current TODO list:

• Create Advanced Samples
  • Update Box2D core
  • CutterTools needs to do post-cut tests for sane results
  • Buoyancy Controller
  • A complete LinkFactory (Chains, ropes, tracks)
  • Simplify the OnCollision callback
  • Port the AngleLimitJoint
  • Windows Phone 7 support
Aug 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Awesome with 3.0 release! I'd like some introduction to what's involved in upgrading a 2.1 project to a 3.0. Also for me the most interesting 3.1 features are the advanced samples, the linkfactory, oncollision simplification and the anglelimitjoint.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Bumping request for Windows Phone 7 support.  Hoping for a easier experience adding physics to a game before the October release.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I haven't had too many issues with the engine on windows phone 7. The latest revision includes the necessary xna 4.0 changes needed to port the demos and debugview to windows phone 7. You just have to create the WP7 game library projects for the engine and debugview and use them. You'll want to double the default velocity and position iteration settings to get similar stability as you'd expect running on the PC or XBox360, due to the phone's 30fps limitation. 

I think there is one minor compiler error when building for windows phone 7 - something about an uninitialized Vector2 being sent to a method by reference - it's easy enough to fix.

Also, the content projects for xna 4.0 aren't quite committed to source control yet, but if you're just using the debugview, then all you need to do is add the sprite font that debugview uses to your game's content project.

If you're looking for silverlight windows phone 7 support, I don't think there is a debugview that works with the version of silverlight on the phone, but the core library should work. I think you have to create a "Windows Phone Class Library" project. XNA projects need the "Windows Phone Game Library" project instead.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Thank you JeroMiya.  I didn't realize how special the WP7 game libraries were.  Your advice has gotten me up and running :)

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM

The content projects should be in the source control now.