Version 3 - Silverlight changes

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Hi, I'm using the Silverlight build of the Farseer engine and recently converted over to 3.0. I'm loving the new changes -- the code seems very well architected now, so kudos! Some questions however...

1. Will there be a port of the old silverlight samples coming soon? Right now I'm flying a bit blind because I can't really directly compare. Also, I'd love to steal a "DebugView" that is already implemented in Silverlight so I don't have to do it myself. ;-) 

2. Did something change with how the time steps are handled? Re-running my exact code with gravity of -200 and a 'density' of 1 (which was Mass before, so perhaps this is the problem?)... My objects float extremely slowly now. I have to crank up gravity to nearly -2000 for it to look even close to right. I noticed the XNA example had very small values though of '0, 20' -- so something seems odd to me here. Thoughts? 

3. Are there any plans to support soft bodies like those found in the Jelly Physics? (http://walaber.com/index.php?action=showitem&id=16) This would be very amazing. I may actually try to port the Jelly Physics code into a new SoftBody for Farseer and if I do I'll share my results. But I was curious if this was on the official agenda? 

Thanks and keep up the great work!

John

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM

1. I will port over the Silverlight samples in 3.1. The debugview will hopefully also be ported over, but if someone manages to create one, let me know and I will include it in the release.

2. Mass and density are 2 different things. Your issue is probably due to you are use pixels instead of meters when specifying the dimensions of the physics objects.

3. Jelly Physics and FPE 2.0 (not 3.0) is actually very alike and I think it is possible to merge the two. I'm not sure about 3.0 as the thought never entered my mind to merge the two. However, you are welcome to give it a try and let me know if you manage to get it working.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Ahh, I'm sure that is the problem. I'll dig into the discussions around the new coordinate system then. 

Thanks!

John