Doing something with Farseer and WP7?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Please share! It sounds like there are at least a few of us. What are you up to? Any challenges? Using Farseer 3 or earlier?

I am working on a game, using Andy's physics helper. Not using Farseer 3 yet, but making progress:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rogerguess

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I don't personally have a Windows Phone 7 device, so I couldn't tell you personally about the performance using this engine.

Why are you interested in Farseer? Your game looks like it's behaving fine on whatever you're using. Are you concerned about

the performance of the engine you're using? Are you concerned about the engine's community, and how active it is?

Going from one engine to the next is challenging and time-consuming, so it may not be worth it if you don't have to. While this

engine is organized, it does have a learning curve. If you do choose to use farseer though, I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up.

Farseer's got a very helpful community =)

As far as your game goes, I noticed that the landscape has lots of jagged edges and the like. Using Farseer might be

challenging for something like this. Each Fixture's shape should not have any concave surfaces, at least based on the Farseer

I was last well-acquainted with. This would mean lots and lots of compound fixtures.

Good luck!

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:31 AM

My game is using Farseer 2 with Andy's Physics Helper:

http://physicshelper.codeplex.com/

I have had some chance to try it out on a real device, and am happy to say that if you don't go crazy with too many objects, it performs very well. Yes, lots of edges in my 'map' I am careful to have nothing concave or convex on those large static bodies. I also make sure they have no transforms.

My hope is to start a discussion with anyone using Farseer for WP7, and share as much knowledge as possible.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:56 AM
Edited Sep 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM

sorry for bad typing - holding sleeping baby daughter in dark. 

i am using fp3 on wp7. works great. minimize stacks for best results. don't try to submit without testing in device. emulator and device use completely different jit engines, so performance may surprise you. small scenes probably ok. difficult to tombstone game though - serializing World state challenging/unreliable so far and also very very slow - one whole minute on device! working on it. slowness maybe a beta bug?

Edit: To clarify, the slow serialization performance on the device (especially using the DataContractSerializer) and even in the emulator may be a bug in the beta tools. My attempts so far have been using a physics data contract class that I copy the world state into for serialization. Even small amounts of objects seem to take an unreasonable amount of time to serialize. For example, I tried serializing a couple hundred objects and it took 5 seconds on the emulator and around 30 or so seconds on the device. The same code runs in .014 seconds on the PC. That's not even counting the disk IO time to write the thing to isolated storage.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

wow, thanks for that bit of information!

How did you get your windows phone 7 device?

Did you send a request at wp7request@microsoft.com?

How long did they take to get back to you if they did?

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I just asked around. Crashlander did some farseer testing on an actual device. I think it was an MS intern that helped me out by testing some serialization code on a device.