Building demolition

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM
Can this engine support a demolition building scenario?

I am thinking in the lines of making walls, floors and ceilings etc like solid block sections, and these are connected by springs? Or is it called something else?

I was hoping to be able to simulate the effects of lets say, suddenly removing a floor section, and see what physics and gravity will do to the building.

Cheers,
HalfAsleep
Coordinator
Feb 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM
Yes it can, but keep in mind this is a 2D engine.
Feb 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM
That is ok, I am speaking of 2D.

What I would like, is to create tiles I guess, where each tile represents a different material. It is then connected to surrounding tiles, based on the surrounding tiles' properties as well. Do I use springs for this?

The reason I am asking, is that I found a demolitions game that I found hilarious. The only problem with that game, was that the "physics" was simply a straight down gravity, that always pulled any tile straight down. What I would like to happen is, say that you miscalculate the amount of explosives needed, and only one side of the building goes out...I would then like the physics to "rotate" the building....not just fall straight down.

And of course, if the stresses on the materials get too big as the building starts keeling over, more joints will break etc, making the building not fall straight down as it should in a perfect demolition.

Thanx for any feedback!

Cheers,
HalfAsleep
Coordinator
Feb 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM
You could use revolute joints, angle joints and joint breakpoints to do all this.