Phone 7 Project

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Hi all,

Yesterday I was finally piecing together a new engine for XNA 4.0 + Farseer 3.0 development for Phone 7. I managed to build and run it successfully on Windows and Phone 7, so hurray for that :-)

What I wanted to ask was: will it be possible to include a copy of the Farseer XNA project also for Phone 7 in the XNA branch? This would make it easier to include directly as reference in phone projects, and would avoid the need to resynchronize with remote SVN updates.

Other than that, really great job! :-)

Best regards,

Gonçalo 

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I've tried to get hold of a Windows Phone 7 to build an official release for FPE 3.1. It has not been possible to get one, however, I will still include a WP7 release of FPE 3.1, but it will not have been tested and optimized.

Developer
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM

It's really easy to get Farseer working in WP7. Just create a copy of the FarseerPhysicsXNA project for WP7 and compile or add it to your project.  Works like a charm.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM

3.0 users needs to add some compiler conditions to the diagnostics part of the engine in order for it to compile. I've added the conditions to the latest changeset in the source control.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Thanks for the quick update!

For now, it's working great, but I'm counting on putting my hands on a real phone 7 soon, so hopefully I'll be able to let you know how it goes there.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Hi all,

I noticed that near the Farseer 3.1 release the WP7 branch was again removed. Is there a reason why the WP7 mirror project of Farseer should not be included in the main project solution?

From what I gather, the WP7 is a desired target for Farseer use, but some compilation errors may start creeping into the repository unnoticed, due to minor subtle differences between XNA Windows and WP7. Including a WP7 copy of the project in the main solution would help to prevent this and ensure the library remains compatible, at least at a build level, with Windows Phone.

What do you think? Thanks for the great work,

Gonçalo

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Yes, there are a couple of reasons:

1. The Farseer Physics Engine projects in the solution does actually not contain any files, only links to files. Each time we add a new file to the project, we need to copy that file link into body .net vanilia, silverlight and XNA. If we had a Xbox360 and WP7 project in there too, we need to copy the file to those too.

2. Whenever I release a new version of FPE, I need to pack everything together, clean up the directories, unpack them, build them, test them and release them. Most times I forget something and quickly re-upload the files before too many people get affected by it. If I add Xbox360 and WP7, there are more that can go wrong.

3. Up until recently I did not have any WP7 device to test on. I do have one borrowed from Microsoft now.

4. WP7 and Xbox360 projects would have to be edited to stop deploying while testing.

5. WP7 and Xbox360 project can be auto-generated using VS2010 from the XNA project. However, this is not 100% fully automated as it has some problems with DLL references.

6. Less is better - it is easier to navigate the solution with a few projects.

----

Now, despite all those reasons, I will probably add a WP7 project (and Xbox360) up to the next release to make sure everything works correctly on those platforms. I've also done some extensive performance optimizations on Xbox360 recently that might cause some trouble. - So everything has to be tested on all platforms.

I'm not sure if I will release WP7 and Xbox360 projects or a guide to convert the XNA version to those platforms. I might just release them and hope for the best.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM

For #2 would a MSBuild script be helpful to do a full build?

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I guess it would. I just never have the time to learn MSBuild and create a script. I'm not even sure it is possible as the projects contains links and they need to be the real files instead. There is quite a big difference between the source control and releases.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

While I was browsing around today I saw this http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b0e0b5e9-e138-410b-ad10-00cb3caf4981/ Might be helpful and easier in what Farseer wants to accomplish. 

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Interesting. I will take a look at it.