Reusing joints

Topics: User Forum
Mar 25, 2011 at 2:57 AM

In my quest for removing allocations, I have encountered an issue when attempting to reuse a joint. I am using a revolute joint to attach the player's body to walls so achieve crawling. My problem comes when attempting to transition from crawling on one body to another.

Ideally I would do something like:

// update joint
              m_grabJoint.BodyB = closestFixture.Body;
              m_grabJoint.LocalAnchorA = body.Body.GetLocalPoint(body.Body.Position + direction);
              m_grabJoint.LocalAnchorB = closestFixture.Body.GetLocalPoint(body.Body.Position + direction * length);

Instead I have to do this:

// change joint bodies if necessary
            if (m_grabJoint.BodyB == closestFixture.Body)
            {
              // closest fixture still belongs to the same body, update anchors
              m_grabJoint.LocalAnchorA = body.Body.GetLocalPoint(body.Body.Position + direction);
              m_grabJoint.LocalAnchorB = closestFixture.Body.GetLocalPoint(body.Body.Position + direction * length);
            }
            else
            {
              // closest fixture belongs to a different body, recreate joint
              PhysicsWorld world = Game.Singleton.Instance.GameWorld.PhysicsWorld;
              world.World.RemoveJoint(m_grabJoint);
              m_grabJoint = new RevoluteJoint(body.Body, closestFixture.Body, body.Body.GetLocalPoint(body.Body.Position + direction), closestFixture.Body.GetLocalPoint(body.Body.Position + direction * length));
              m_grabJoint.CollideConnected = true;
              world.World.AddJoint(m_grabJoint);
            }

I guess I could live with needing to do RemoveJoint/AddJoint as well. Anyway, the issue seems to be with JointEdges that are created when the joint is added to the world. If I change BodyB, these edges don't appear to be touched. A single frame Remove/Add is incorrect also, as the world batches these operations and performs them in the order Add/Remove.

Is anyone able to provide any information on potential fixes/workarounds for this? I had thought to have 2 joints for each joint I plan to re-use and double-buffer them (so the Remove/Add would occur in the correct order and the edges would be resolved correctly). Obviously this isn't an ideal situation, but as last resort it should serve.

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Please create an issue in the issue tracker.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Ok, done :)

http://farseerphysics.codeplex.com/workitem/30416