Anyone tried using Farseer along with XNA Animation Library on Codeplex?

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Also, does anyone see any forseeable problems with me using this 2D physics engine in this type of game:

- 3rd quarter perspective and gameplay ala Zelda for super nintendo & gameboy. The camera is in a fixed position all the time, with the hero in the center of the screen (Final Fantasy games for super nintendo as another example). The only catch is the graphics are in 3D.
- the ground is always flat, and there is no jumping.

I guess my question is simple. Can I use the physics engine with 3D objects? I never deal with moving objects in 3 dimensions so as long as the library supports collision checks against 3D objects, I should be in the clear, right?
Apr 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM
Oh, and I'll probably have small amounts of elevation. Not so much that a third co-ordinate will be required to check for collisions though. And tall obects like houses and mountains will simply be impassable barriers.
Apr 3, 2008 at 6:19 PM
As long you can visualize every aspect of your game requiring physical interaction from an over-head, top down view. I have started down a similar path, and haven't had any issue so far.
Apr 4, 2008 at 3:51 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2008 at 4:00 AM
thank-you very much for your reply! now hopefully XNA animation library won't cause any fuss with me.

i've been thinking about creating a map editior... i haven't done one entirely from code before though without the help of forms in visual basic! the last one i made was in visual basic, and using forms really helped me a lot. i may do one in visual basic and save the co-ordinates to a text file, as i've done this in the past (that's wayyy in the past --i'm rusty.. i haven't made a game in 5 years!)

there is no avoiding making a map editor to save time in the long run i think... i just hope i can make a good one that i will use to make a complete game... the last map editor i made took longer than the rest of the game to make! (a 2d tile-based rpg game), but it was a sweet learning experience.

Tell me whachall think of this?:
For the map editor, I will:

-make it in visual basic because forms i find make it much easier
-make a point-and-click interface
-choose the dimensions of the map you are about to make, then click create.
-choose the 3D object to be put on the map, which is represented by a 2D object in the map editor, then put it on one of the tilesquares.
(When I first make the 3D objects in 3D Studio Max, I will use a defined grid, so i know how many tiles each 3D object will encompass in the map editor! How's that?)
I will need to later check the bottom of each 3D model, to make sure it sits just on top of my (almost) flat ground plane.
-save the name of the 3D object, along with its coordinates to a text file. the text file is titled after the maps' name.
-at compile time later in c#, when a map is called, all 3D objects will be loaded, along with their bounding boxes and bounding meshes!

I just realized the map editor doesn't really have to be tilebased, but smaller numbers are easier to deal with (especially when scripting events) from my experience. it also makes objects easier to allign and make tidy as well. unfortunately that can be a bad thing if you want a natural, strewn about look, but you can always fake it :)

I would like the map editor to show the 3D objects in realtime, but then i would have to make the map editor in XNA to be able to see the 3D objects, and it seems quite a bit more complex to do it that way. i am not familiar enough with c# to know how to get forms. is this worth reading up on? or should i go ahead and make my map editor in visual basic? If you can help me with this matter, it will be soooo appreciated! this game is my livelyhood! i don't care if it takes a lifetime to make, i will get it made! and the name of whoever so helps me will find its way into my special thanks list in the credits for my game when the super smash hit goes commercial, you have my word.

Hmm. I'm gonna read about making forms in c#. can you put forms on top of your window getting drawn to? so for instance, you could click on the 3d object you want to bring into the xna 3d realtime map editor from a form on top of it? ah the whole 3d map editor thing is just too complicated for me i think... maybe i'll just stay away from it...
Apr 4, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Well, you've got some options:

You could display the game in a windows forms component. Its not easy or fun to do, and I'm not sure how much flexibility you would have with triggering events between the game and the form, but there is a demo at http://www.nuclex.org/news/2007/05/14/xna-windows-forms-usercontrol and http://www.codeproject.com/KB/game/XNA_And_Beyond.aspx#XNA%20And%20WinForms:%20A%20Simple%20Approach
Apr 4, 2008 at 11:12 PM
thank-you sir!