Seperating two objects

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:18 PM

when writing a collisionhandler, the resulting contactlist holds data about the contact points.
I bet the provided information can be used to seperate two objects manually without using the physicsEngines automatic mechanisms.

For my game, I move a geom manually and check collisions within the collisionhandler. Now I need to seperate the colliding geoms. I guess the contactlist data "normal" and "seperation" can help me here.
The question is: What exactly do this variables mean? I thought "Normal" shows the direction of seperation and "seperation" is the multiplier to seperate both geoms. But somehow I can't get it working. Any clue is really appreciated!

May 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM
Edited May 19, 2008 at 9:13 PM
Huehnerschaender, I am working on the same problem, and I am wondering if you have figured this out.  I too would like more information about what normal and seperation actually mean.  Normal is pretty obviously the angle of the impact, but I don't get what seperation is.

Depending on what you're trying to do I think Normal and the Posistion of the impact is all we need.  But I would like to be as realistic and general as possible, which I think understanding seperation might help.