Can Farseer run with a variable timestep?

Topics: User Forum
May 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM
Edited May 23, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Hey guys, sorry for the simple question, but I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I'm just starting to work on a scrolling platformer game, and got character movement working pretty well yesterday, using Farseer (incredible work, by the way!)

I've noticed that in any XNA application, when something moves on the screen, there's often a little bit of a jitter more than once every second.  It happens in fullscreen more than windowed mode.   Setting this.IsFixedTimeStep = false; in my Game object completely fixes this graphical issue.  The problem is, it seems to at least slightly change the feel of the physics when using farseer (the character becomes much more bouncy, even with restitution set at 0,) and from what I've read today, a physics simulation really shouldn't be expected to run with a variable timestep.

So, my question is, can Farseer be expected to run with XNA's fixed timestep disabled?

And as a quick follow up, if it can't be expected to work with a variable timestep, would anyone have a link to some noob-friendly code that implements a custom fixed timestep, that fixes the (at least on my computers) fairly awful XNA stuttering?

Thanks a lot, and thanks for the great tool -- can't wait to make something substantial!

Alex