Jittering Farseer on XBox 360

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:19 AM
Hi everybody.

when deploying the Farseer demo to the XBox 360, you will notice a horrible performance on the XBox. Why is that? The demos with many geoms are jittering at 3 FPS... I bet there must be a reason we can resolve. Otherwise it seems that Farseer is not usable on the XBox in bigger projects (?).

Anyone who met this problem and knows a solution or explanation? My guess it that inline functions and Operator overloading causes the performance dropdown.
Apr 17, 2008 at 3:20 PM
I have not seen a performance problem with the demos on my 360. Did you deploy in debug mode or something similar? Inline functions would not cause a slow down, and operator overloading doesn't create the sort of overhead you are implying. My guess is something else is amiss. Have you modified the demos?
Apr 17, 2008 at 4:19 PM
When I tried it, I did not modify the demos. The simple demos with just a few geoms run very well. But the ones with many objects on screen start jittering when many contacts are active.

What do you mean with debug mode? Is there a way to deploy it without debugging? If so, I would be interested in how I can deploy my application correct... (sorry if this is a noob question, but I am new to C# and XNA)
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2008 at 5:32 PM
This is a known limitation of the Compact framework utilized by the XBOX 360. It has performance issues. Search the XNA forums for more info.

So, for XBox 360 games you do have to be mindful of how much physics you are doing at any one time. The fact that the collision categories runs terrible on the xbox360 is a known issue... I just didn't get around to creating a seperate demo with fewer circles..

-Jeff