Xbox Samples Peformance Problems

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I've been working on a game using the farseer physics engine and am noticing performance problems when deployed to the Xbox 360 and working with a large number of simple bodies. To rule out my game's code, I tried deploying the "Farseer Physics Engine 3.3.1 Samples XNA" to my Xbox 360. I found some of the same performance problems in the "Breakable bodies and explosions" sample (I believe because it has a large number of bodies). I open the sample and create an explosion at the center of the screen. The frame rate immediately drops to 2 fps and stays there for about 5 seconds. I do this same test on my 2.2ghz laptop and it stays above 30fps the entire time. I thought that maybe it has to do with the bodies breaking at first, so I broke all of the bodies on the xbox and then created more explosions. Anytime the bulk of the bodies were coliding the fps dropped significantly. Any ideas why this is and how the performance could be improved?

All of my tests were with the Release versions and without debugging.

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I haven't used FPE on xbox but I know this problem occurs for the Phone as well. Maybe its just lower processing power on xbox, except I would think the xbox had the same power as a 2.2 ghz laptop? You could try turning off CCD, that usually helps a lot. Its somewhere in the Farseer. namespace I think.