Farseer and MonoGame

Topics: Project Management Forum
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Hello guys,

I would like to know if you are interested in porting Farseer Physics to MonoGame. 

MonoGame is a port of XNA to OpenGL, and is working on MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux and Windows platforms.

At this time, the project is still under development, but 2D stuff is almost 100% ported (v2.0 should be released by Jan or Feb with full 2D support).

I have tried to port Farseer Physics to Android and its was quite easy. I've got problems with the samples, because they are many and in a single project... I would like to create a very simple Farseer Sample, to make a proof of concept of Farseer working with MonoGame. Could anyone help me with a very simple sample (it could be a ball falling and colliding with another object). Im not used to Farseer API, but Its a great lib and is heavily used in the community, so Im going to use it in some projects which I would like to port to Android also.

If you dont know MonoGame, please, take a look at this link.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I've found the HelloXNA sample project. It was exacly what I was looking for..

However its not ported to Windows Phone - it has a Phone project, but it uses keyboard or gamepad as input methods =(.

I'm modifying it to use Touch events and then will try to run it on Android.. As soon as I have some news, I will post here again..

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Just to let you know, I was able to run the HelloWorld Android sample!

It lagged a lot because of the simulator, when I have time I will run it on a real device to confirm.

If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Hi mauriciocirelli,

FPE 3.0 has actually been ported by the MonoGame developers and it was shown at MIX11 (techdemo). Take a look at the patches section, ID 8778.

It is going to be built into the mainstream FPE soon.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Ohh thats sounds great!

When you say "soon", how long is it =D

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM

The official FPE samples are not yet stable on MonoGame Android (I haven't tested on iOS yet).

It requires some intensive XNA capability which MonoGame doesn't handle properly yet.

Main obstacles so far :

1. Material mapping : Rendering a shape not directly from an image but use the image as its material instead.

2. DebugView (Fail to draw UserPrimitive on some devices).

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Any updates to this?
Would love to see Farseer and MonoGame getting along ;)