Begging for some testers?

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:36 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2008 at 9:48 PM
Hey everybody, can somebody out there help test out my Silverlight 2 Beta 2 game?  I'm mostly interested in performance and bugs then if the game is good or not -- this is really just a Proof of Concept.  Anyways I'd appreciate any comments what so ever.  You can reply here or email me at DanDan@DDtMM.com

You can play the game @ http://www.DDtMM.com/vs0
Jun 16, 2008 at 10:42 PM
It plays pretty well for me.  One suggestion I'd make though.  The shift key is probably not the best fire button.  Repeatedly pressing it triggers the sticky keys windows accessibility feature.  I'd suggest the space bar.
Jun 16, 2008 at 11:59 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2008 at 12:45 AM
For some reason when I upgraded to Beta 2 neither Spacebar nor Enter would work anymore.  I figured out that the button on the root page was eating keyboard inputs even though it wasn't visible, and fixed the problem.  Thanks IAmMonkeyBoy!

IAmMonkeyBoy wrote:
It plays pretty well for me.  One suggestion I'd make though.  The shift key is probably not the best fire button.  Repeatedly pressing it triggers the sticky keys windows accessibility feature.  I'd suggest the space bar.

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM
I like it, feels smooth. I would prefer a faster acceleration on the ship, it felt sluggish trying to switch directions after overshooting something, but otherwise it was fun.
Jun 18, 2008 at 3:26 AM
wmfwlr, what's the stats on your computer?  I'm asking because I'm curious if it is fast.  I think I'm finding that the gameplay is "swifter" on slower computers.
Jun 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, 2 GB RAM running XP. Why would it be slower on a faster computer?
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Runs smooth here.

I'm on an 2x Quad-core Xeon 2.33 GHz, 6GB RAM and Windows Vista using firefox 3.0

I have some suggestions and some potential fixes:

1. Add a buffer for the bullets. The way it is now, you just hold down the spacebar instead of introducing some action with pressing the spacebar :)
2. The buttom "Click to begin game" is matching the background (dark green on black) to much. It's hard to read.
3. The introduction says that W is the speed boost button, but it's S on my keyboard :)
4. Some old school music like the good old game stations had.
Jun 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM
I think I should clarify that the game itself didn't run slow when changing directions, it was more the gameplay felt slow. Specifically, decelerating and re-accelerating to turn 180 degrees felt like it was taking a long time. I realize it is probably physically accurate so I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but you could change the acceleration depending on the sharpness of the turn it might increase the perception of speed.
Jun 23, 2008 at 9:47 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback.  This wasn't really meant to be a complete game, just to test out ideas, but I tried to encorperate all of your feedback.  I kept the movement of the ship the same, but I implemented a lot of genbox's suggestions.

The game got slower on faster computers because of the lack of accuracy coming from the DateTime.Now.Ticks not being very accurate.  I tried what I could to take it out, but I prefer the game on my wife's slower computer.

The new link to the game is
http://www.DDtMM.com/vs0