Pinball Bumpers

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jul 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM
I creating a pinball game and I have most of my code worked out, except for one thing.  I'm not sure what to use for the bumpers in the game.  I have 4 bumpers (2 circles, 2 polygons).  I've tried using both fixed linear springs and fixed angular springs, but after all my efforts of trying to tweak them (by changing mass, dampening constant, and spring constant) and make them stiff.  I can't get them to work.  I've heard of using slide joints because there stiffer than springs, but I'm not sure.  What's the best way for me to go about this?
Oct 17, 2008 at 11:49 PM
I actually have hit a similar road block for a pinball-like game I am working on.  Any ideas?
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2008 at 12:02 AM
Are the bumpers not static? What kind of movement should they perform?
Oct 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM
The bumpers are static, but I don't know how to model them using the physics engine.  They will have a circular geometry, but I'm trying to get the bounce effect off of the bumper, and not just a collision, if that makes sense.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2008 at 12:27 AM
You want it to bounce more? Set the RestitutionCoefficient on the bumper to make it bounce more. Pass it a value between 0 and 1. 0 is no bounce and 1 is a perfect bounce.
Oct 18, 2008 at 1:22 AM
Thanks a lot, genbox!  That worked great, and gave just the effect I needed.
Oct 18, 2008 at 11:44 PM
Hey ZachTheRiah, I just wanted to know what platform your pinball game is for?
Oct 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM
I have made it for Windows.  (It's more of a "pinball-like" game--Plinko, from The Price is Right).