Is Farseer Still Being Actively Maintained?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 27, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Edited Apr 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Hey guys,

There hasn't been a check-in since November of last year.  There still appears to be some unfinished work since the release of v3.3.1, and per the state of our project, there is some concern here that the variety of issues being posted on the "Issue Tracker" are not be being addressed.  I'm hoping someone can chime in and reassure the community that the project is still under active perusal by the developers and that attention has not dissipated.  Thanks for all your work, and we look forward to future improvements.

Respectfully,

Joseph G.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I agree it would be nice if there were an update, although knowing how OSS works sometimes projects can sometimes stagnate. Would be a shame this project falls by the wayside. Looking on the bright side, the Box2D.XNA project's last checkin was in 2010.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I know Ian is working on updates for Farseer. Box2D.XNA is getting a refresh in the next couple weeks as working on this currently.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Question for you Elija, should someone go with Box2D.XNA or Farseer? Yes, they both have unique features I guess but there's a lot of overlap. Why should I pick one over the other?

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

To be honest, it depends on what your needs are. I do alot of porting iPhone games to WP7. So in those cases Box2D.XNA is a great option. When starting a project from scratch Farseer all the way. Farseer is just Box2D with extras.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for the insight. Makes sense.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Thanks, Elijah.

Would Ian mind posting (assuming he hasn't already) what is in store for the next rollout?  I realize maintaining a release milestone is difficult with an open source project, but it really is a very important element.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Bludo wrote:

Thanks, Elijah.

Would Ian mind posting (assuming he hasn't already) what is in store for the next rollout?  I realize maintaining a release milestone is difficult with an open source project, but it really is a very important element.

I'm actually interested in this as well, although I'm also aware of milestone difficulties.  I'm more interested in bug fixes anyways.