Character Arms

Topics: Developer Forum
May 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hi,

So i implemented the ever popular  Box-wheel cart character ,and i was trying to add arms to the guy.So the idea was to attach two edges to the main body center ,with a couple of revolute  joints  ,then get the rotation from the mouse position and then just assign the say

LeftArm.Rotation=angle.

The problem is that the bodies in Farseer rotate around the center ,and if say the local anchor of the arms isn't in the center of the body ,the joint starts spazzing out when i do the rotation as it tries to rotate around the center.I can always make the arms twice as long and then just attach at the center ,but that doesn't seem as a good solution.

So i wanted to ask if anyone maybe knows a better way of adding arms or some way to fix this ?

Thanks in advance

May 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You could create a body to act as a shoulder and create a revolute joint between the shoulder and the box torso. Use a weld joint to attach the arm to the shoulder at the appropriate offset. You could then use the revolute joint's motor to rotate the arm. 

May 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Thanks!.Nice idea...not sure why i didn't think of that ...bummer.I guess it's just one of those days ain't it hehe.Thanks again.