Fast-moving small object penetration

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 23, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2008 at 1:13 AM
So I have a pinball game, and a small ball with radius 5 and two fixed angle springs on a rectangle for flippers.  I have a lot of verts on all and a small collision grid size on all.  Yet when the ball is moving at high speed and penetrates the flippers and some other objects.  This is similar to this post.  If you follow the wiki link I see what is happening (the object is moving to fast for the frame rate).  To fix this one method is to add a sorta tail on to the end of the object only in geom, not the body.  This is my perspective on it.  What I want to know is there a better way to fix this?  If someone had implemented a solution could you please show it to me?  Any help will be helpful.
Sep 24, 2008 at 1:11 AM
By the way this is a Zune game that is why the radius for the ball is so small.
Sep 24, 2008 at 1:18 AM
Try increasing PhysicsSimulators.Iterations to a higher value. Keep bumping it up and see if that helps.
Maybe manually increase the size of the balls AABB.
Sep 24, 2008 at 1:42 AM
Just saw your post about the Zune. Maybe try using a larger scale physics world and than scale it down to fit the screen. I can't tell you how to do this off hand but good luck.
Sep 24, 2008 at 2:04 AM
Actually your thing about the PhysicSimulator.Iterations really worked.  I changed it from default 5 to 50.  You would think that would slow performance way down especially on the Zune, but actually there is no noticable hitch, and the penetration is gone.  Thanks.