Farseer Physics Engine 2.0 Announcement

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM
I'm pleased to announce that Farseer Physics Engine 2.0 will be released on 11-04-2008. Its at the very final state of our development cycle and we think that it's ready for you to play with. We have a lot of new features, fixes and performance improvements in this release.

I've decided to give you a quick overview on what is included in this release. It's only the highlights as there are far too many improvements for Codeplex to handle. :)

Improved samples + New ones

We know how hard physic simulations can be for people new to game development (and physics), so we decided to make current samples more simple. A lot of people also have trouble implementing some of the more advanced features of Farseer Physics, so we also decided to include some new samples.

The new samples include:

• Water sample (also online here: Water demo)
  • Multithreading sample
  • Pool/cache sample
  • Texture to vertices sample (more on this further down)
  • Path Generator sample (more on this further down)

New documentation

We had a lot of requests for some documentation. It's hard work to write documentation that is verbose enough and easy to understand, so we put a lot of effort into writing some quality documentation. There are still room for improvement. If you have any requests or improvements, you are welcome to contact us.

I've been trying to keep this a secret, but I think it's time to reveal it.

The documentation (only the online version. It will be released together with Farseer Physics 2.0) have samples built into them. It's now possible to see exactly how joints and springs work, while you are reading about them.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, those samples runs at 60 fps, we have a mighty huge manual. ;)

Texture to vertices

Thanks to sickbattery, we now have an algorithm to map out textures into a vertices list. You can see an example of it here: Complex texture

Path Generator

Thanks to mattbettcher  (A developer on the Farseer Project) we now have something called a Path Generator. Sounds intriguing right?

It's essentially a way for you to define some control points, then feed it to the Path Generator, and it will create a bunch of bodies along the control points. The bodies are linked together with joints or springs.

So how is this useful? Well, you can create chains, rope and even tank tracks along the control points (path). We have made it very easy for you to create chains, rope and tank tracks by using a new class called ComplexFactory.

Lots of fixes and improvements

Beside a lot of new features, we have also fixed some bugs (nothing major) and improved some code to run even faster.

If you have had some trouble with Farseer in the past, try upgrading and please tell us if you still have trouble. We are here to help.

---

I wanted to include more pictures. But Codeplex hates me right now, so I don't have access to the source control :)