Starting guide or tutorial

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

hello everyone!

im new with this engine game, so, i was reading the documentation and itd too old, where  find a start guide or tutorial with new version of this engine, i downloaded the examples, but there are many things I do not understand even the hello world, so any can help to undesrtand step by step this engine ?...

example... i include de refference: FarseerPhysicsXNA and use at code

using FarseerPhysics.Dynamics;
using FarseerPhysics.Factories;

all this i try and work for now.. but I did all this intuitively but I do not know if its ok, I know exactly what dll add, do not know whether to add the project completely, not ... I'm doing with this simple logic, but there should be a tutorial or step by step guide

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Did you have a look at the TestBed project? It's full of examples of the things the engine can do. As a matter of fact I suggest you start by modifying a TestBed item and only move to XNA graphics when you are really comfortable with the physics. XNA is not easy at all, even though it might seem so at first glance. Add to that a physics engine that is by definition really complicated and this can get easily overwhelming even if you are an expert in .NET.

In the testbed you get for free a game loop, input management and quite useful automatic DebugDrawing with camera matrices set up for you to perfectly match the physics with no need of thinking about conversions and scale. Making a real game, of course, is much more difficult but this really has little to do with the engine. The samples are a step in that direction with some useful stuff but they are by no means complete and are not a real game engine just a prototype.

Anyways Farseer is a port of Box2D so everything that is Box2D related can be useful with minimum effort if you are good at reading c-like code . Box2D has a pretty decent manual that is linked in the documentation section. There are a few sites with great tutorials for Box2D and its ports (Flash, Java ecc):

For example Emanuele's site (flash) has 130 tutorials for Box2D related stuff including how to make an Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space clone (the original does indeed use Box2D itself). He's also writing a book. Iforce2D covers some interesting advanced topics and frequently asked questions. He also has an interactive editor (RUBE) to build and test scenes that has a free version and soon a Pro version that look very promising. and have lots of answers even for Farseer not to mention Box2D.

Even though Farseer has almost no documentation don't give up! There is a huge number of resources that can help. The problems will come later when you try to do real complicated physics... :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

yeah, i  was looking at the examples, and I understand to some extent, but all I'm following is logically, not because it followed a tutorial, I program in C #, not C + + or other language. I will try Box2D .. thnks ...

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Source code is the best documentation of any project and I've extended that belief into both the samples and the testbed. The documentation is old because I never had the time to update it and wanted to focus on updating the code instead. However, I believe that the samples are sufficient documentation to make any kind of physics enabled game.

I have seen the request for a tutorial multiple times throughout the years, however, it seems that when someone makes a tutorial, they too find it hard to keep it updated and most of them simply die. If there are multiple requests for a "how-to" tutorial at this time, I will create one.