Using a Model with PolygonEntity

Topics: User Forum
Jan 28, 2007 at 7:08 PM
Hello, XNA nubie here.

Could you tell me how to use a prerendered model with PolygonEntity? Thanks.

Farseer looks like it is going to rock my 3D generated world!

Regards,
SuperArmySoldier.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM
It might not rock your "3D" world, but maybe your 2D world. :-)

Farseer is a 2D physics engine. It's missing a "D".
Jan 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM
I am working on a library that bridges the Trans2D library ( http://mail.rochester.edu/~mabernet/trans2d/ ) and farseer physics. I have some code that takes a rigid body and renders it( and correctly lines it up with the physics engine. the XNA version isn't released yet but when it is I will post the code .
Feb 4, 2007 at 4:55 PM
Oh right, okay I get it now. I did notice the giant '2D' word at the top of the page, but when I went delving into your code I saw how you can enter vertices and thought I could maybe pass in a model instead.

Nevermind, I will have to build my own physics engine. But thanks for the reply CrashLanger.

Out of interest. I'm looking at collision detection and can see that on every frame I need to check every object against every other object to see if they are touching. This is okay when you have a few objects loaded in, but for each new object it dramatically increases the amount of processing that needs to be done. Is there somekind of industry standard algorythm to check collison detection?

I do like how farseer has two levels of detection, the first being a rough detection, to see if two objects are close, and then the second being more refined and doing a more accurate check.

Thanks again,
SAS.
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2007 at 11:47 PM
prune and sweep is a standard algorithm for increasing the performance of the multi body collision check. I havn't gotten around to implementing it yet.