The farseer "bin" is missing?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hello,

I just downloaded the Farseer Physics Engine for a game I plan on building for Windows Phone 7.X, and 8. However, videos online (Including one from Microsoft) use a .dll file that is found under: 

Farseer Physics 3.3 XNA > Bin

My problem though, is that the "Bin", is not there. I have all the other folder "Collision","Common","Controls",etc, but the "Bin" folder is not there. I tried re-downloading the .zip again, but still, there was no Bin. If anyone could direct me to a video, or link with what I need, that'd be very nice. Also, could anyone explain how to import the Physics Engine to my WP XNA 4.0 Project file? I couldn't find anywhere on how to do it. Please excuse any grammar mistakes, or asking to many questions, i'm 13.

-Regards,

TehChikenHater 

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM
Edited Dec 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM

That is weird. I just re-downloaded the archive and checked and it is indeed missing the bin folder. There is also no bin folder in the XNA Hello World archive although that might be by design as it's about the source code there.

Anyway, TehChikenHater: I uploaded the bin folder from the archive I downloaded a while ago which you can use.
http://www.johnstone-online.com/Impy/Farseer%20Physics%203.3.1%20bin/bin.zip
I'll leave the file there for a few days.

You could also compile the Farseer archive that you downloaded, which would produce the Farseer DLL file in a bin folder. You would then copy that into the bin folder of your own game. It should just be a matter of double clicking the .sln file and pressing F8 in visual studio.

Hope that helps.

P.S For fun, you should try compiling the Farseer project yourself to produce the bin folder and DLLs. Quite a few libraries that you download in the future will be source-code-only archives. Commiting binaries to a source control system is considered bad practice by many developers as it tends to make the database that stores the versioning information enormous.

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2012 at 2:58 AM

The 'bin' folder is the compiled version of Farseer Physics, and I always remove them prior to releasing the ZIP distribution. The DLL file is automatically created once you open the project in Visual Studio 2010 and press CTRL+B to build the project.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM
But the WP version won't compile because it misses some references.
Can you please include the WP dll or add it as a separate download?
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:19 AM
You need to have the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK installed in order to build the Windows Phone binaries.

Download it here: https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/downloadsdk

You need in order:
  1. SDK 7.1
  2. SDK 7.1.1 Update
The Windows Phone SDK will install XNA Game Studio along with various other libraries for Windows Phone development. With that Farseer Physics compiles fine.