Jumping

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:16 AM
Hi

Ive got an avatar made up of a box with a ball sticking halfway out the bottom(almost like a wheelchair), that I move by rolling the ball.

My problem is getting it to jump: To jump I move my dude up by a few pixels(in case hes stuck in the floor) and the apply an impulse upwards. This works as long as i dont hold down the jump key, in which case he jumps all over the place. This could be because I use the oncollision event to check when hes standing again and that he actually still has some downward momentum when i try jump again. Or that he gets lodged in the floor a bit and the engine hasnt had a chance to corret it yet.

Also if hes standing by a wall thats a bit skew(leans over him a tiny bit), he goes flying in the opposite direction, very hard and fast.

It might also be a problem that Ive got 2 bodies joined together, but ive tried jumping with either one body or the other, or both of them, and that doesnt help.

If anyone can help, or tell me how they jumped in their game, Id appreciate it, thanks
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2008 at 1:03 PM
Is it possible for you to send me the game? I can take a look at it and determine if it's one of the problems resolved in 2.0.1 (not released yet).

Upload your project to a free upload site and contact me with the Codeplex contact form.
Dec 21, 2008 at 5:42 AM
Im actually using another physics engine (sorry) :( but Im sure its something to do with my method and not the engine.