skeletal animation

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM

hi,

does anyone know of a skeletal animation implementation using farseer or have expirience implementing it? i was thinking about setting the positions each frame might with a transform... but maybe thats not the best way to do this...?

thanks!

martijn

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Setting the transform on each update is a possibility, unless you implement it using joints, and update their constrains to match the ones in the skeletal system.

The only problem there is using the transform, is that bodies are basically transported in the eyes of the engine, which leads to tunneling. But if you do it in small increments, it will not be that much of a problem.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I've had some luck doing skeletal animation by using a combination of Revolute and Angle joints.  Use the Revolute joints with constraints to create the ragdoll, and use the Angle joints (with Target Angle set) to achieve different poses.  Moving from one pose to another then is just a matter of updating the Target Angle for each joint.  It's not perfect but does the trick for animating from one pose to another (assuming the poses are not radically different from one another).

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Genbox wrote:

Setting the transform on each update is a possibility, unless you implement it using joints, and update their constrains to match the ones in the skeletal system.

The only problem there is using the transform, is that bodies are basically transported in the eyes of the engine, which leads to tunneling. But if you do it in small increments, it will not be that much of a problem.

thats what i was affraid of too. there must be other games that faced the same dilema, anyone know how this is usually solved?

mheydlauf wrote:

I've had some luck doing skeletal animation by using a combination of Revolute and Angle joints. Use the Revolute joints with constraints to create the ragdoll, and use the Angle joints (with Target Angle set) to achieve different poses. Moving from one pose to another then is just a matter of updating the Target Angle for each joint. It's not perfect but does the trick for animating from one pose to another (assuming the poses are not radically different from one another).

would that be the same strategy as some systems do using pid controllers? have you got an example where I can see it in action (youtube or demo)?

thanks!

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

It is usually solved by manually positing and rotating the elements according to the bones in the animation. Setting the body type to static and moving them works okay, so try it out.