Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 versions

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Feb 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Hi,

first of all congrats on work so far, Farseer is amazing library.

Im interested to hear what are the plans for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 builds of the lib?

Will it be done in the future and will it be part of the commercial library or it will stay free?

keep up the good work in any case!

thanks,
Roboblob
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:56 AM
I have no plans to support Windows 8 or WP8 at the moment. I will take a look at it once I'm finished working on the engine.
The basic engine will always stay free. If the whole engine stays free or not has not been decided yet, but it will remain free for now.
Feb 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Hi Genbox,

thanks for prompt reply.

Please consider porting Farseer to Windows 8 and WP8 im sure a lot of devs would be using it ...
With the spread of Monogame to many new platforms i think Farseer also has a bright future since its popular amongst XNA/Monogame devs

If you dont have time for this im sure that free part of the lib will be ported by someone else (i could do it myself).
I'm already using Farseer Windows 8 port that i compiled locally without any problems - but for sure someone needs to publish a real port.

regards,
Slobo
Feb 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I can understand he doesn't want to keep maintaining so many different projects.

However, it would be great if the code would be rewritten in a way that makes it (easier to) compile for WinRT.
From what I can remember from the last time I checked the code that was not compilable was only:
Console...
IEnumerable.ForEach (ForEach was removed from List<T> somehow)
Feb 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Hi,

So i ported Farseer to MonoGame ,rather easy really .It is a lazy port tough ,just wanted to get it to work so you should take this into account
  1. World serilaization not there yet,was there but i accidentally deleted the ported class.But it is rather easy to do using the AsynHelper class i have in there (see ContentWrapper).
  2. No touch input in this version ,i have it in another version ,but not working properly so i will add it later .Also will add the settings charm integration as well.
  3. I hard coded the resolution for the app in the main game file ,so change it for your system.
  4. The content pipeline extensions don't work for some reason ,i think it's the fault of Monos content pipeline compilation ,if anyone fixes would be great.
  5. Right now i just copy the content over into the AppX folder for it to work .but you can easily just add it to the project and mark it as Content .I did like that for one of the revisions ,but not in the files below.
  6. This is based on the latest source code for Farsser and no Windows Phone yet .This should be easy to add just see MonoGame templates with the Farseer Physics XNA Library referenced .
  7. Sorry for some of the horrible code in there i just made this in a few hours so the engine runs and didn't intent to make it pretty yet ,but it works and is usable.
  8. Have Fun
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I do have support for Mono in the source control (along with a hack for the content pipeline problem ArtyomTopchyan mentioned in point 4), and I wanted to make experimental Android, iOS and Windows 8 projects, but the reason I say that I have no plans for official support, is that I don't have the hardware or the time to support the platforms, bug fix them and test it.

I do no own an Android or iOS device. I can setup a Windows 8 installation, but not with the WinRT ARM architecture. I always strive to support the most platforms, to make it easy for people to use FPE. It is not that you can't create your own project files, as I've made sure the code is 95% portable. But it is a great convenience to just download the platform you need.
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
By the way, I'm thinking of getting hold of CartBlanche (the project coordinator of MonoGame) and ask if he would setup the projects and test them on the different platforms. With the help of the community, I might be able to coordinate some developers that own the different devices to test and debug that way. I do not expect too many bugs related to the different platforms (WinRT on ARM might have floating point issues). However, I have to finish up the rest of the engine before I begin working on expanding the platform support.

Edit: CartBlanche submitted a patch that would give FPE support for MonoGame quite some time ago. The patch is now outdated.
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Hi,

just in case someone needs this, i have VS 2012 solution with latest Monogame working with Farseer samples 3.3.1 for Windows 8:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2800792/Permanent/FarseerPhysicsEngine331SamplesMonogame.rar
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
So anybody tried on WInRT?

I finally am writing a game that could use Farseer, but I am writing on WinRT as my main platform.
Feb 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM
only problem I've had so far is that trying to make a Portable class library for WP8 and RT, I have to change the target platforms as it seems when compatible with both you lose the stop watch which farseer seems to need. Shouldnt be hard to fix.
Apr 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
i want use it for a market too :)