The application which this project type is based on was not found

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Hello, I may be doing this wrong, but I'm trying to use this with Visual Studio 2012 Express on Windows 7. There are two things that happen.

Number one: When I double click the project in an explorer window to open it, I get a "Invalid License Data. Reinstall is Required" pop up that says "Visual Studio 2010 Shell" at the top. I don't have VS 2010 installed.

Number two: When I open up VS 2012 Express, press Ctrl+O and try and load from there, I get a pop up that says "These projects are either not supported or need modifications to open in this version of Visual Studio." Below this message is a lot of all the projects in the solution. I click OK on this one, and it attempts to configure everything automatically, but none of the projects load and I get a "application which this project type is based on was not found" message.

What version of VS should I be using? Or, what settings do I need to change to get the project to load?
Developer
Aug 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
This is not specific to Farseer but if you are using XNA 4.x in any way you are stuck with Visual Studio 2010 (mainly because of the content pipeline integration). It does not run to well under Windows 8 either, so I'd recommend Windows 7 + Visual Studio 2010.

If you are using the class version of Farseer you should be good on any system. This is just Farseer though. The Samples and the Testbed (to some extend) are dependent on XNA. Alternatively you can use MonoGame which is a mono-based port of XNA and runs under a lot more plattforms (and workd nicely with Visual Studio 2012/2013 as well).

It is not as straight forward to setup though and you still need Visual Studio 2010 for setting up/creating & building Content Pipeline projects (at least for now). But this beyond the scope of this forum... HTH a bit :)
Aug 13, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Edited Aug 13, 2013 at 3:35 AM
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the prompt response and explanation. I'll post again if I have more problems.

EDIT: Which version should I get? http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express has too many choices. I'm thinking Visual C# 2010 Express, but don't want to waste time installing it only to find out it's the wrong thing.