Anti-Gravity & Floating

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Hey guys.  Probably a total noob question, but I'm trying to put together a game involving some balloons that are supposed to be lighter than air.  Thing is, I can't work out the best way to represent this to make them float upwards realistically & dynamically (ie they slow down when weight is attatched to them).  If I were to apply a constant upward force, they'd get faster as they rose.  I can't set their mass to be negative (and that would mess up their collisions anyway) and I can't set their weight independent from their mass.

Any ideas?
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM
Well, actually you could use the buoyancy controller to do this. You would have to find the right density and linear drag though. Play around with the properties of the buoyancy controller and see what you can come up with.

The Silverlight water sample uses the buoyancy controller to create water. Strip off all the wave creation stuff and look at the fundamentals, might be just what you are looking for.

Edit: To see the controller in action. click here
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Just so I'm sure I'm not way off here - does this mean "floating" the entire game world in a FluidController so the engine is essentially floating the balloons to the top?