Broad Phase Collider Questions

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 31, 2009 at 8:38 AM
I've been looking over the code in each of the broad phase colliders and i have a couple of questions (a little like complaints actually):
in the specific functions that perform generic checking (like if collision categories are incompatible or if both bodies are static), why are
A. each method signifies wether a given pair of objects should be collided differently (one returns fase if it shouldnt, another just returns, and a third does it differently)
B. each metod has a different naming convention for the pair of geometries (one uses _g1 and _g2, another uses geometryA and geometryB, and another uses something liek geom1 and geom2)
these like this? also, can they be fixed to be more consistent (read: more convienient)?
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2009 at 9:47 AM
A. This is because they were built by different people. Everyone have different ways of creating a calling structure and when Jeff got the code in his hands, he optimized it a bit and released it with Farseer. Not a big deal that one of them returns a boolean and another continue a loop. It has also been a question of time. Jeff wanted a good physics engine for future games and wanted to get starting on developing the game instead of focusing on the broadphase code structure.

B. Again, the same as the first one.

---

I will copy this to an issue and take a look at it. It will easy the understanding of the colliders if they are more like each other in structure.
Thanks for reporting this.
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2009 at 9:47 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.