Recommended mass?

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:13 PM
I noticed that when I set a cube with mass > 2 it has difficulty comming to rest and there is also problems with stacking. What mass is recommended for say a car or a space ship in a game. I have mass = 1 now for my player and I need to have some other objects with a greater mass. Would be nice with some general rules for this
Feb 24, 2009 at 6:50 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2009 at 6:51 PM
The effects of mass are all relative.  A body with a mass of 1 hitting another with a mass of 2 should react the same as a mass of 10 hitting a 20.  If you scale up like this, you just need to be sure you scale all the variables.  That includes moment of ineria, linear drag, spring strength, etc.

For your problem, I'd reccomend increasing the LinearDragCoeffecient and/or FrictionCoeffecient variables for the bodies.  LinearDragCoeffecient should be larger for big objects that aren't very aerodynamic.  FrictionCoeffecient is friction, and should be higher for rougher objects. (0.9 for sandpaper/rubber and 0.1 for ice, possibly?  I've never really experemented with different materials.)