Modeling Truck Suspentions

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Hi,

Im still prototyping my next title and have got up to modeling the car that will be in the game and am coming stuck at modeling the trucks suspention. The truck itself wont be realistic in terms f the real world, however I want to be able to achieve things in a physically realistic way.

The constraints for the truck:
  • The suspentions should be balanced to allow the truck to drive, the truck will be 4 wheel drive.
  • Suspention should cushion large falls without the wheels going into the body of the truck.
  • The player will be able to compress the suspention like a hydrolic, when this compression is released the truck should jump, I guess this would be caused by the force of the spring pushing back up onto the trucks body causing momentum.
  • While airborn the player will be able to rotate the truck, the angular momentum caused by the truck spinning should cause the wheels of the truck to extend outwards fromt he truck.
At the moment I have been able to create the first two parts, but have come stuck creating the second two.

Click hoere for the same question posted on gamedev.net with more details, pictures etc

I thought I should pose this question here as well as gamedev so I could get some feedback relating directly to farseer and which combinations of springs and joints I should use.

Again, thankyou for ay help, Scott

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Well you might want to try using a thin geom to connect your wheel with a central support under the trucks body, then use a spring with a high stiffness to simulate the actual suspension. its hard to explain, look over at www.phunland.com theres a picture of a monster truck that has the exact configuration im describing.
Feb 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM
I actually did come across that site and "borrowed" its monster truck image as some placeholder art, I may just try out its suspention system now aswell

thanks, Scott
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:12 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2009 at 5:14 AM
What do you mean by borrowed? that is an ingame (more of an in sandbox) shot of the monster truck driving over "cars". both are made from parts that you can make. I hope it helps you.
for the second to goals, if you change the spring length to something shorter when you want to "crouch" then extend it when the crouch is over that should send the thing jumping. Also, if you soften the spring the more the truck is spinning you might be able to get the wheels to extend.