Rain, in farseer or particle system?

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:25 AM
I was reding the thread with matt bettcher earlier, and he talked about making a system that would make many bodies and geometries and would run good even on a POS computer(like mine).
I attempted to do the code myself but failed miserably, either making the computer slow to a crumble,
or drawing one lonely body.
I would very much like to like to implement rain into my project as its going to be a huge part of my game,
i would be alright with a particle system but i would like collisions and interaction with the rain.
So does anyone like genbox have that piece of code or some other code that will work with farseer,
or does anyone know  aparticle engine that will get the job done, i saw genbox talk about mercury in the thread, but the last release was 2007 so im not sure if its alright use.

Thanks in advance (and sorry about so many threads)
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Mercury Particle Engine is indeed a good particle engine. I've actually been thinking about taking over the project and continue development on the project. Even tho it's last release was in 2007, it still works great.

Anyway, Mercury does not have a Farseer Physics "plugin" by default. You will have to make one yourself if you want to use it. It's not too hard, just remember that Farseer Physics is handling the position and rotation (that you can ignore if you use circles as particles) of bodies, and all you will have to do is hook it up to the drawing mechanism of the particle engine.

As for the code, I do have some code around here somewhere that enables the use of particles in FP. I'm not sure who send it to me or if it even works, but if you need it, contact me and I will reply with the file.

EDIT: It's of course Matthew that created the particles in FP.
Mar 18, 2009 at 5:46 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2009 at 6:39 PM
well im not to sure how i would go about contacting you as i dont ssee a pm system but heres my email
*(get a life spambots)*
if you can send it there that be fine
but im sorry your gonna be more specific than that on how to make a plugin haha
im truly sorry i dont know why its so hard for me to do stuff without someone holding my hand pulling me the whole way.
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM
also i saw you updated back in july with your fixed version do you have that version still as the link no longer works.
And did you update after that and keep on updating his code? If so you could probaly release it and start up the project again under a different name and give credit to him, or you could start up a project of the same name.
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM
To contact me, click om my name and click contact.
You should delete your mail from the forums to make sure that no one abuse it. (including spambots)

Don't be sorry, everyone starts somewhere. It takes years to master something and in this field, everything changes every few years.

I've actually contacted Matt (from Mercury Particle Engine - We are old friends) and asked him if there is anything I can do to keep the project running and he took me onto his project. He actually have done some development since 2007, but nothing he thought was worth releasing just yet. My task is to look at the current problems, fix them and release a new version. You might see more coming from that project in the future.
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM
THATS GREAT! i noticed he removed all of his videos off youtube which is dissapointing but i guess ill see them when the new version comes,
assuming it does come out eventualy
i guess i should contact you with other questions and stuff.