Farseer Physics, Mono, XNA

Topics: User Forum
Mar 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM
I'd like to use Farseer Physics to make a cross-platform (Windows/Linux/Mac OS) game, which (I believe) rules out XNA.

1) Am I right in assuming the class library is for use in non-XNA based applications?
2) What is the likelihood that Farseer Physics will work with Mono?

I'm in a situation where I can't try these things out for myself at the moment, so I figured that I would ask around here first.
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM
XNA does exist for Mono, I'm not sure what the current status is on the project, but it might be worth a look:
http://code.google.com/p/monoxna/

1. Yes, the library is 100% independent of anything. You can include it in any project you would like as long as they run a managed environment.

2. My guess is that it will work. If it does not, it should require some small fixes before it does. There is nothing fancy in Farseer Physics that would require anything else but standard C#.

It would be great if you get Mono running with Farseer Physics. I would be grateful if you posted your details to get it working here. Then I can add it to our wiki for others to see.
Developer
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:07 AM
Farseer Physics should run in Mono. If you get it working please share with the community

XNA is probably a bad choice for cross platform. Even if it is in a working state with Mono.
Mar 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Yeah Farseer Physics works out of the box with Mono 2.2
( Just make sure you remove the XNA and WINDOWS defines from the project )

As for the graphics side of things, I'd steer well clear of any XNA port, that seems like a terrible idea at the best of times and I don't think it's being developed anymore anyway.

Tao contains OpenGL bindings, so I'd probably say those are the best bet. Or SFML's .NET binding. I'm currently looking for a good solution myself so any ideas would be appreciated.