Farseer 2.1 Progress Update

May 2, 2009 at 1:55 AM
Farseer 2.1 Progress Update

Some items on the list for 2.2 are making there way to the list for 2.1 for the simple reason that certain additions will rely on others. My effort is dedicated to increasing the speed and accuracy of the narrow phase collision system. Alot of the coding I have been doing and will be doing will require fairly major changes to the internals of the engine. Features like real circles, continuous collision detection, line segments, and other features go hand in hand with each other and require major rewrites of the engines internals as well as other areas of the engine. All this being said I have been trying to maintain total compatiblility with the current Farseer functions. As my coding continues I realize compatibility will be immpossible for all be the simplest demos. So I will begin a major overhaul on Farseer without concern for compatiblity. I will keep with the styling that Farseer uses and do my best to maintain Farseers ease of use. As my version will be incompatible with all previous versions I doubt we will release it as 2.1, most likely it will be released as 3.0. I'm sure Ian (genbox) will continue to maintain support and extend the 2.0 seeries of Farseer and the 3.0 version when it's released. Right now I have no set time as to a release of 3.0. I work 10hrs a day and maintain quite an active life with my kids and wife. I will say my goal is by the end of the year. I will post updates and samples of how the progess is coming along in this thread.
May 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM
I just wanna say thanks for putting so much effort into everything you do,
dont really have much else to say,
but thanks : )
May 2, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Your welcome tlegion. I hope to create my game with this engine soon (within years...lol) and I want it to be the best it can be.
May 2, 2009 at 10:43 PM
I second tlegions post.

As for the content of Matt's post; We are going to take a big step after the 2.1 release and rework most of the engine collision system. That is such a big step that we should indeed name it 3.0.
We are focusing on 2.1 for now, when is's out of the door, our focus will be on the new collision system.
May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Woohoo! More toys to play with! But seriously, you guys are one of the best things to happen to XNA and Indie Gaming, giving us developers powerful tools to play around with and make fun and exciting games. Thank you to you all and I tip my proverbial hats to you :)
May 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Is the list of what is going into each version kept somewhere public? Or is it just in various discussion posts?
May 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the hard work in providing these amazing tools for us to develop our games ;)
May 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM
@MattF: The developement list is here - http://farseerphysics.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=44448 I was just clarifying that there will be some fairly major changes after the 2.1 release.

@DavidJarim: Your welcome.