Can I use my game for commercial use?

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Short answer:

Long answer:

You can indeed use it in a game that you want to sell or otherwise distribute. You can create derived works under a different name with your own code mixed into it if you want. It is a free and open project and you can basically do what you want.

It is not a requrement, but we would like people to know that you use the Farseer Physics Engine. It would be great if you included the Farseer Physics Engine logo somewhere. (found on the front page).

There are some limitations of our license:

1. The license does not give you the rights to include any of our contributers' name, logo or their trademarks. (You have the right to use our logo, I gave you that right)

2. If you decide to use our code in your own work, remember that the code is licensed under our license. You must have a copy of that license distributed along with the code. You can license the code under your own license, but only if it comply with our license.

3. The software is licensed as-is. This means that you bear the risk of using it and any harm caused by this software can't be blamed on us. We give no guarantees or warranties.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I've always wondered about point 2. Am I right in thinking this would only apply if I was releasing some portion of the source code? If I were only linking to the Farseer DLL in my game, do I still need to distribute (or comply with) your license?

Also, you made a slightly amusing spelling mistake: "You have the right to use your logo, I gave you that right"  :)  Thanks for that! Seriously though, I'm more than happy to show the farseer logo in my game's intro screens. After all the hard work you guys have essentially put in to my game, it's the least I can do.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Yes. If you distribute the source code, you need to distribute the full license as well. If you only distribute a compiled DLL, you need to have it under a license that comply with the Ms-PL license.

All this license stuff may sound harsh, but it is to protect us from any trouble - It is also to inform the users that they can basically do whatever they want with our source code. We are very interested in everyone can download the free source code and use it in their applications without being liable for anything that breaks.

Haha, thanks for pointing out the spelling mistake. It's fixed ;)
Oh, and thanks for including our logo, I hope you had good use of Farseer Physics Engine.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Let me get this straight.

If we make a game, and only distribute the compiled dll, we may not tell anyone who made it, but we're allowed to include the logo?

Is there a high-res version of the logo somewhere?

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:16 PM

You can indeed distribute a compiled dll, as long as it complies with the license described above. The license is really non-restrictive in the sense that I want most people to use Farseer Physics Engine without it harms our contributers or myself. You also have the right to tell who made the engine, but you are not allowed to use any contributers name (unless the contributer gives you that right) - it is in place to protect people from misusing a contributers name in case something goes wrong.

It might seem complicated, but the buttomline is that you can basically do what you want with the source (also in compiled form) - as long as you comply with the few items in the license.

As for the logo, the highest resolution I have around is the one on the frontpage. Feel free to use it in your game or homepage.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I would like to use the engine in a free game, but the license still confuses me about the logo part. I like the engine, and the amount of work you put into it is great, so I don't want to do anything with it I'm not supposed to. That's why I want to check. I will be devoloping the game in a team, and we have a name and a logo. We want to put our logo as a splashscreen in the game. I'll put the Farseer logo as an extra splashscreen. Is this allowed by the license?

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM

You are indeed allowed to include our logo on a splash page (or where ever you like). You can find the original logo on this wiki page. The one in the top of the page is scaled to fit the page.

Feel free to post about your game on our forums, we like to see what people are using the engine for :)

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Wow, talk about fast answer. I like the support here :D. My question was actually whether I can include my groups logo in a game made with Farseer, but as you didn't even mention anything about it, I take that it ain't a problem. If the game turns out how I want it I'll post some screenshots here, we need advertising anyway :P.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM

It is not a problem. You can do what you like with your logo together with the FPE logo. As long as you are not misrepresenting the logo or misusing it in some other way.

Looking forward to see the screenshots.