XNA and Xbox 360 versions... different?

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Hi guys,

I have a simple question - is there a difference in performance/code in the xbox 360/xna versions of farseer 2.1 that I can download? As in.. if I download and use the xbox 360 specific version, would it run better on the 360 than if I download the standard "xna" version and create an xbox 360 project from that, or is the code the same in both versions and its just different project settings?

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM

No, there is no difference in code. We added the Xbox 360 project to make sure that a conditional compilation symbol was present. You can go ahead and download the XNA version and build it for Xbox360.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM

That's great!

One more question; what method would you recommend in terms of including Farseer into my project? I'm not versed in my assembly referencing and such; would building the class library version and including it (however that's done) work for both the Xbox and PC? Or would I maybe be better simply including the full source in a folder within my project?

Thanks for the swift reply!

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM

If you are going to use XNA, then I would recommend that you use the XNA version. The Class library version includes some math libraries already included in XNA.

As for the referencing. I would create a top folder and then put two folders into that. One of the sub folders would contain my game files and the other sub folder should contain Farseer Physics.
You then create a solution file with Visual Studio and put it into the top folder. This solution file should contain both the Farseer Physics and your game projects. If you rightclick on your game and choose "Add reference", you then pick the "Projects" tab and choose the Farseer Physics project.

That should be it. You are now ready to use Farseer Physics. If you want an example on how to utilize Farseer Physics, you can download the Simple Samples project. It contains a good structure for drawing 2D graphics, creating menus and most important of all, they contain simple sample on how to combine Farseer Physics to create a fun and dynamic game. (Look in the Demo1-10.cs files in the project)

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Hello, 

Do you know if there are plans to integrate the two projects into a single download?

I was setting up my project to include farseer, and had this exact question. It would be much simpler for users if the projects were integrated into a single download.

Thanks, 

Dustin