Ninjics Game

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I've been working on this game with one other friend.. altho theres a few bugs to fix we would still like to share it with you guys.. tell us what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78xjHnicYCA

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM

that looks very cool.. the character animation is great

the environment looks 3D, though.. so you used 2D farseer and 3D rendering with restricted Z axis?

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM

That is correct. It's a 2D character in a 3D world.  I've seen this similar technique in other games and it seemed to work well.

Glad you like the animation:) thanks!

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:34 AM

Looks really sweet and like a lot of fun!

How do you model your character in the farseer physics engine?  especially things like sliding down walls and stuff.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM

This game uses a mixture of farseer and flatredball engine.. two engines that really compliment each other!

Both teams have 6 star staff that have always managed to help me out when i get stuck. They've gone above and beyond with support for this project.

THANK YOU

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Thank you for posting this great game. Never imagined that you and your friend would come up with such an awesome game. I still remember when you asked if FRB could work together with Farseer Physics. Seems like they worked great together.

Do you plan on releasing it?

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:17 AM

yes we do plan on releasing it as soon as we get some bugs fixed

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:31 AM

MegaMan, are there any specific issues you ran into with FRB< > farseer integration?  Anything missing?  Anything duplicate?

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM

hey fixitchris, Im the other guy working on Ninjics with MegaManzz. Sorry for the delayed reply. There werent really any issues with using flatredball.  farseer integration was pretty easy and there support is top notch. If you have any questions just let me know.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:51 AM

how did you develop the character and handle the different object states from a design point of view?  do you have a demo I can try?

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:39 AM

Very nice work.  I had a question about you built your character using Farseer.  I've been thinking of Creating a geom for every frame of my characters animation using the texture to polygon creation,  but I'm wondering if this is overkill.  Did you guys just manually create your geom's for your ninja, create multiple geoms for different frames? 

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM

hey guys thanks for the feedback!.. I started as an artist (not a programmer), so my methods might not be the most desired methods, but they work for me:) ! 

artimusp: For the character we had only 2 geoms. One collision geom that is a simple circle shape and another slightly bigger circle that is used to detect collision with the ground (which if you read a bunch of posts many people have an issue with how to track if the character is touching the ground or not), this bigger geom is not collidable, it only detects collision..

Personally i think it's overkill to have the geom change for every frame, because first of all it wouldn't be that noticable, second my character is running at 30 fps. Thats a LOT extra work.. I'm not sure what kind of game your making, but it can't hurt to make one geom and then add more if you think it'll greatly improve your game.. Hope this answers your question.

fixitchris: This is my first game so i just kinda had something in mind and went for it not knowing what to expect. The messiest part of my code would proboboly be finding out what state my character is in. if you read the reply directly above it states how i used a larger circle geom to detect collision.. I mostly used this to find out what state my character is in. The larger geom (refered by me as proxyGeom) is split into desired sections in the onCollsion method (like a pizza is devided). if the bottom slice of the proxyGeom detects a collision the you are labelled as notAirborne.  Same would be done for different slices of the pizza, I mean proxyGeom, when detecting wallslides and such. Hope this also answers your question.. 

---------------------------------

Thanks again to everyone who support our game.. We decided to go back and remake a lot of the features in the game and we feel that it will kick twice as much ASS when it's completly done. Hopefully sooner then later it will be released on the xbox360. Thank you Farseer and FlatRedBall for your beyon excellent support

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Your game already looks really nice, I can't wait to see what you have redone!