Having huge problem. Please help

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jul 21, 2009 at 6:50 AM

Hey everyone i wanted to know if anyone knows any reason this is happening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6pLYcNpvVk

Objects slowly slide though other objects...

I can post the code if you want.
Any ideas would be great.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Are you using SAT or DG?

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM

I am using sat.
i wanted to use DG but it seems to make things slowly seperate over time (which would be bad for a stacking game)

I got this working in the game.
This is the editor and i cant get it working

it is using the same settings as the game and is quite small.

Please help. :)

Also i will be donating a modest sum of money very soon.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I noticed a similar sort of behaviour once when first using JiglibX. I was updating the physics engine exactly once per frame with the elapsed frame time. The solution was to use a fixed timestep and update the engine multiple times per frame, storing any remainder time for the next frame. I _think_ the ScalingController does this, but it's a little more complex and I don't understand exactly what it's doing.

Perhaps the root of the problem is in your editor's Tick() logic. How do you handle the update & draw in the editor?

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Thanks roonda i shall go over my timing code tommrow and try giveing it a fixed timestep etc...

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM

There are some examples on what roonda mentions in our Silverlight samples (and I think the WPF samples too).

The video confused me a little because it boxes does not rotate, but the debug view shows them rotating.
We have had some bugs in SAT, they should be fixed in the newest changeset in the source control. Matthew is working on a new (the third) implementation of SAT that should improve performance even more and be more stable.